My wife is a good woman. She’s smart, she’s fun, she’s dedicated to helping others, and she’s wise beyond her years. She knows that all too often on our fairly infrequent date nights we fall into the trap of talking about the kids, or work, or things equally banal.
So when we went to a fine-dining dinner for our 15th wedding anniversary the other night, she brought along a little box. She’d even decorated it with wrapping paper and cut a tissue-box type hole in the top. Inside were strips of paper, and on these strips were twenty or so questions she had come up with.
Here’s a sample, along with shortened versions of some of my answers (she answered the questions as well):
Who is the one person who has had the most influence on making you who you are today?
- Answer: My mother
Which of your senses do you cherish the most?
- Answer: Sight
When was the last time you laughed so hard you cried?
- Answer: Watching Bad Lip Reading’s bit on Newt Gingrich
Can you name 3 qualities that attracted you to me when we first started dating?
- Answer: Yes
What is the craziest thing you could challenge me to do right now?
- Answer: Go have sex in the restaurant bathroom. (Since we were waiting for our next course there wasn’t time – it had to wait until we got to a nearby wine bar.)
What do you think is the one thing that I love most about you?
- Answer: My buns of steel. (Followed in distant second place by my writing.)
What is the one thing you’re most looking forward to doing in the next year?
- Answer: Exploring our new home in Spain.
Which celebrity would you most like to sleep with?
- First answer: George Clooney. Second Answer: Rhea Perlman. Real answer: Salma Hayek.
What is the best gift I could get you?
- Answer: An ice cream maker.
What do you think is my calling?
- Answer: You’re doing it. Working in Human Rights.
What is your most vivid memory from when we met?
- Well, I rattled of a dozen or so, which I think scored me pretty big points.
There were others, of course, and each one – although I’ve given only short answers here – sparked off lively, lengthy, and interesting conversation. It was a blast, and I’m glad that my wife took the time to put that little box together.
So next time you’re planning a date night, think about doing something similar. There’s no doubt that it will stimulate some intriguing dialogue. And who knows, it might even lead to sex in a public bathroom. Here’s hoping!